College Credits

In order to receive credits, students need to coordinate requirements from Seattle Central Community College, along with the Spanish school abroad, and students home university.
When you contact Seattle Central Community College, make sure to mention that you are interested in taking Spanish courses with an independent language school abroad. See Spanish school listings.

Here's what Seattle Central has to say:
Credit Awarded via Seattle Central Community College
To enroll by phone call Seattle Central CC Office of Cooperative Education
attn: Karen Kato 206-587-5422

Additional Courses Below As well as at Seattle CC Web Link

**Tips For Students Seeking Transfer of College Credit Handout (see below)
**Partial List of Colleges that have accepted Seattle CC Courses for Credit (see below)
**Seattle Central CC Registration Form and Instructions

● Mini Ethnography

● Travel Study Journal

● Wave Quest (Sample Mini Ethnography)

● Costa (Sample Daily Journal)

● Costa Pollution (Sample Critical Thinking Paper)

● Costa Surfing (Sample Critical Thinking Paper)

Professor Steve Tash c/o WeStudyAbroad.Com
23786 Villena
Mission Viejo, CA 92692 USA
tel. 949-916-1096 9am-9pm PST fax. 949- 916-1499
 Call 1-800-638-7640 and mention code #437 to receive additional discount pricing.
    •    To enroll by phone call Seattle Central CC Office of Cooperative Education attn: Karen Kato 206-587-5422
    •    Research outside the classroom is now a reality. Pick a travel destination, select a research topic, start gathering research data on your topic and combine them all into a learning experience. This is a self-paced experiential study course designed to maximize your learning experience. Opportunities to conduct a mini-ethnography along with research on practically any aspect of your travel experience including activities which are social, political, geographical, literary, recreational, historical, scientific and/or cultural in nature.
    •    This course is a self-paced experiential education course designed for the undergraduate student who plans on taking advantage of language enhancement opportunities outside the USA, living with a family for total language immersion or attending a language school while at the same time studying the culture of the country. Student will be expected to complete all course requirements upon their return to the United States.
    •    SCI 296/297 Science & Ecology
    •    Fullerton College Oregon State University 
Western Kentucky Govcher College (Baltimore)
Regence (Colo) U of New Hampshire
U of California Irvine
    •    U of California , Berkeley U of Arizona
    •    U of California , San Diego Arizona Sate U
    •    U of Pittsburgh Winona State U
    •    U of Washington Evergreen University (WA)
    •    U of Hawaii Seattle Central College
    •    U of Oregon Northeast University ( Boston , MA )
    •    California State U Northridge Santa Rosa College (CA)
    •    Orange Coast College Green River College
    •    Louisiana State University Cuesta College
    •    Baylor University U of Texas , Austin
    •    Southwest Texas State U College of Charleston (SC)
    •    Mount Holyoke College (MA) University of Florida
    •    University of Arkansas San Francisco State University
    •    Seattle Pacific University Portland State University
    •    U.S. International University University of Dayton
    •    Western Michigan University University of Colorado
    •    University of Texas , Arlington Austin Community College
    •    St. Edwards University (TX) New School University ( New York )
    •    San Diego State University Cerro Coso Community College
    •    Texas A&M
    •    U of New Hampshire St. Mary’s college (MD)
    •    Hobart & Wm Smith (MA) St. Martins College (WA)
    •    St. Edward U ( Texas ) American University ( Wash DC)
    •    Barry University (FL) Bard College
    •    Michigan State University Arkansas State U
    •    Stanford University SweetBriar College (VA)
    •    Calif.State Univ.Los Angeles Nazarine University
    •    Point Loma College University of Massachusetts
    •    California Poly San Luis Obispo U of North Carolina
    •    Seattle Pacific Southern Oregon U
Emerson College College Of Wooster
Purdue University
    •    Irvine Valley College
    •    Hamton College (Ma)
    •    Univ. North Carolina (Charlotte)
    •    Univ. Massachusetts (Amherst)
    •    Univ. of Oklahoma
    •    UCLA (Univ of Calif.Los Angeles)
    •    McDaniel College (Md)
    •    East Carolina Univ.
    •    Gonzaga Univ.(Wa)
    •    Univ. of Colorado (Boulder)
    •    American University (Wash DC)
    •    Univ. of Maryland
    •    Seton Hill (Pa)
    •    Texas State Univ (San Marcos)
    •    CSU San Marcos
    •    Plymouth State (NH)
    •    Penn State (Pa)
    •    James Madison (Va)
    •    Concordia Univ. (Canada)
    •    Univ of Maine
    •    Ithaca College (NY)
    •    Univ of New Hampshire
    •    Univ of Hawaii
    •    West Chester Univ (Pa)
    •    Presby College (SC)
    •    Univ of Redlands (Ca)
    •    Geneva College (pa)
    •    1. Seattle Central Community College is accredited by Northwest Association Colleges & Universities.
    •    2. Upon completion of all course requirements, you will receive "letter" grade and official transcripts.
    •    3. The courses are regularly scheduled courses offered through normal channels of the college (Cooperative Education Division) and appear in the catalog and schedule of classes.
    •    4. Students who desire their home university to accept these credits must seek approval of their home school before enrollment. This usually involves a "petition" form from study abroad office or general advisement center.
    •    5. On this form you would list Seattle CC course(s) by name,number, and total number of credits of planned enrollment. You would also be expected to indicate what course(s) at your home university/college that you want credit transferred over to (i.e. Human 291 10 quarter credits - you want it to count as
    •    Spanish 3 (3 semester) & Spanish 4 (3 semester) at your home college. Your advisor should assist you with this petition application form.
    •    6. At the time you bring in your petition form, I always suggest you bring copies of
    •    Course syllabi from Seattle CC along with any curriculum material from your language immersion program. This should include if possible:
    •    Number of hours in classroom spent on reading, speaking, listening, writing.
    •    Number of hours living with homestay family
    •    Sample lessons, readings, tests, name of textbook if any, cultural excursions planned, etc. The more material your language school provides the better in your attempt to prove the academic worthiness of the program and that it equals or matches your home school curriculum.
    •    It rests with the home school advisor as to whether to accept the credit for either lower or upper division credit.


What is Transfer Credit?

Transfer Credit is the process of receiving academic credit for courses taken during any study abroad experience.  This includes language study, volunteer, internships and work abroad programs as well.  In most cases courses taken from an accredited institution such as SeattleCentralCommunity College will be counted towards your degree or graduation requirements.

Your academic advisor at your home institution will make the final determination of how many credits might transfer and how the credits will count towards your graduation, elective or major/minor requirements. I can't emphasize this point enough but please begin the Transfer Credit process as soon as you decide to study abroad, by seeking pre-approval for your courses from your home institution. In most cases there is a petition to take off campus courses FORM in your study abroad or admissions office.  Once you receive this back with WRITTEN permission you are clear to enroll in my courses.

How Do I Start the Transfer Credit Process?

There are three important steps to successfully obtaining Transfer Credit through your home institution:

Obtain written pre-approval of your courses you plan to enroll in with Seattle Central CC.

If you're unsure where to begin, please contact me by email at

Prior to your travel study program, meet with your college  advisor at your home school to obtain written approval for the Seattle Central courses you want to take.  Course descriptions may be printed directly from my website. Request approval for as many courses that you are planning to enroll in with Seattle CC.  If your program includes foreign language classes, have classes from adjacent proficiency levels approved as well:  You may not place at the same level as in your home institution.

Ask your advisor to pre-determine the number of credits you'll receive at your home institution for each course you successfully complete. We've indicated that each course is based on a conversion of 15 classroom/contact hours per semester credit. For example: If a quarter term course such as HUM 291 Spanish language for 10 quarter credits is taken you would need 90 Classroom/contact Hours of instruction at your language school. For 5 quarter credits you would need 45 classroom/contact hours.  To obtain semester equivalency multiply by 2/3:thus 10 quarter credits equals 6 2/3 semester credits.

Inform your advisor that your official transcript from your study abroad program will be available approximately 30 days after the end date of your semester.  In some cases we can write a letter explaining the transcript process, process dates and provide you with a course title, grade,and credits with a statement that official transcripts are on order and will be processed in a timely manner. Be sure you understand the transcript process and timelines and plan accordingly.

Once you have submitted your coursework for each course to me for grading I will then grade your work and issue a grade to Seattle Central Community college. When the term ends you will receive a grade card and transcript order form.

While abroad, keep ALL of your course materials. Even with course approval, we strongly recommend students keep a record of all books, syllabi, notes, exams and papers in case the amount of transfer credit is ever in question.  If you have additional questions about transfer credit, please contact Professor Steve Tash @ email